- In 1929, during Hoover's first year in office, proxy wars would break out between the U.S. and Soviet Union.
- Wars were fought in South America and Asia.
- The U.S. attempted to suppress communist revolutions in South America, and attempted to strengthen France's hold on territory in Asia.
- These wars would go on for decades, as both side wanted to expand its influence.
- In 1938, a bomb blast in Chicago would kill 60 people.
- The bomber was an immigrant from Russia, and was accused of being a communist sympathizer.
- This bombing would move the U.S. to start moving troops to Asia and South America.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.